Monday, October 6, 2008

Weirdos of BYU UNITE!

Well, I am sure everyone is waiting with baited breath about my overly exciting BYU dating life, so here are a few stories.

1. Kinda Tall, Dark, and braces
I have recently met a very nice guy. He does not belong under this title of Weirdos. He was slightly shy but when he asked me out over email, I accepted. He said he was doing some service for an old lady and wanted me to come. So I attended what I thought was going to be a brief trip to wash some blinds. Instead we arrived at a house up past the temple and proceeded to give FIVE HOURS of service to this poor lonely lady. The best part was when the dating question came up.
Old lady: so are you two dating?
SILENCE
Nice Boy: actually this is our first date
Old lady: well you better be careful because most couples that do service for me end up married! Just like James and Stefanie and.......

Thus began the long list of descriptions and stories of couples that got married. Great first date conversation ! We left rather late and due to the time, most other date ideas were discarded. We decided to go to the duck pond and play a game. He parked in my parking lot and upon our return- yep. He was booted. I felt terrible and what was supposed to be a nice casual first date ended up lasting until 2am until he decided he would just run home. We kept calling the booters number and all we got was "caroline" on her answering machine. We were looking for Pete. The calls continued all weekend and so did our conversations with eachother. So much for not talking for a couple days after the date! The car was finally un-booted when I realized that this nice guy must have a touch of dyslexia and had mixed up the last two numbers of Pete's phone number. Nice. We are going on another date so i guess it wasn't too bad :)

2. This nice young man actually came into the picture before the above mentioned gentleman. We met at a stake activity and he was kind and asked for my number. Mind you, I only noticed the poor teeth and weird hair at the activity, not enough to make it or break it so I gave it to him. We met at a football game where he sought me out. This guy was quite the sight walking towards me in the bleachers. I'll start at the bottom and move up. Tennies, knee high black socks, khaki cargo shorts, t-shirt, binoculars, helmet in hand. Fine, fine. Not a big deal. It wasn't until we started talking that sealed the deal. While talking I happened to glance in his ear, strange I know, but I did. And I regret it. No way am I going to enter into a relationship with that much earwax I mean baggage hanging around!

3. As a half-joke my sister signed me up on LDS SINGLES online. I spent a few evenings with roommates perusing and getting a feel for the site. I don't know what would entice people to put what they do on their profiles. "I am a recently recovered drug addict who just started going back to church" "I didn't go on a mission and thats just fine with me" "I'm 34 and not done with school but I love to have fun" "I have morality issues and I am struggling in the church but I am looking for a nice LDS girl to make everything right." Oh dear. What about those sentences is supposed to make me interested in these guys? And what kind of self respecting 42 year old would try to chat with a 19 year old girl?! I think not. It has proved to be a good laugh but I am realizing how important it is to find decent people around me.

4. I have been in the computer lab for 20 minutes and I think I have significantly creeped out the guy across from me . I have accidentally played footsie with him three times! It's not my fault if he feels like the leg of the table! awkward.

5. I rode up to Idaho with a boy from the ride board last weekend. He turned out to be fairly creepy. I took a nap only to wake up to him saying I had rubbed his leg in my sleep. Then he also said that if he were single we would be holding hands by the ride down. Excuse me, I think I just threw up a bit in my mouth! On the way down, he said his girlfriend who he had gone up to visit didn't want to be in a serious relationship but that he was okay with it because he KNOWS she is the one. "She is perfect, except that she isn't that bright. But thats okay, I can have intelligent conversation with my friends". I would be concerned if I were him. Or her for that matter. So, I tried to get a discount on chipping in on gas money- he said maybe he would take me out on a date to make up for it. I ended it saying I would probably be sick that day.

6. Save the best for last.
I was in a fairly serious relationship this summer only to be dumped the day after spending a week with his family. I have really struggled but I decided I had had enough. I called him and set up a time to talk and figure things out. It didn't take long for me to recover when we started the conversation. Something about mustard on an unshaven face and a giant bloody zit picked in public helped. Also helping out was the t-shirt issue. It had ridden up a bit when he leaned back and his hairy belly was sending little hairs through his mesh garments. Ooh. There's a thin line between being confident and comfortable and an absolute slob. It was quite comforting to realize I didn't lose perfection. I feel great now :)

Thats just a brief overview of my latest encounters with the wonderful species they like to call male here on BYU campus :)

3 comments:

Day Family Blog said...

YOU ARE HILARIOUS!! I have to admit at first I thought what could a single person blog about (all I blog about are my kids), but now I see that your life make for a gerat blog. You have wonderful humorous things to share. It is great! It makes me feel like I am right there with you. I know it is hard, but I am glad you are finding humor in what surrounds you. Thanks for sharing, you are great!

Wendy said...

Those are great stories. You have to wonder sometimes how most of them end up married at some point. I guess they just find some as special as they are.

Unknown said...

You are a crack up. I loved your Idaho visits...How was your birthday? Did you have it yet? We are looking forward to seeing you on Thanksgiving...loves